News Article –
Last night, the Department of Treasury (Treasury) and Small Business Administration (SBA) released an interim final rule on the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Agricultural producers are eligible to participate in the program and should reach out to their bankers and/or agricultural lenders to apply immediately. While SBA still needs to confirm some administrative details, loans will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis and producers can get started on the application now.
- For a top-line overview of the PPP program CLICK HERE
- Information for prospective borrowers can be found HERE
- The application for borrowers can be found HERE
Below please find additional details about the PPP program. NASDA will provide additional updates once outstanding questions are answered by SBA.
- Program Eligibility
- All businesses (including farm and ranch businesses) are eligible for a PPP loan if they (1) have fewer than 500 employees; (2) meet the definition of a “small business concern”; and (3) are subject to SBA’s affiliation rules (unless those rules were specifically waived in the CARES Act).
- Financial institutions, including the Farm Credit system, will be responsible for processing loan applications and administering the loan.
- Loan Terms
- Loan amounts are calculated based on the payroll costs for all employees whose “principal place of residence” is in the U.S. Please note that this definition excludes H-2A workers, which will likely reduce the loan amount available to some agricultural producers.
- This loan has a maturity of 2 years and an interest rate of 1%. Loan payments will be deferred for the first six months.
- The loan will be fully forgiven if at least 75% of the funds are used for payroll costs, and the remainder is used for interest on mortgages, rent, and utilities.
- The best POC for questions on the Paycheck Protection Program is the Lender Relations Specialist in your local SBA Field Office. The local SBA Field Office may be found at https://www.sba.gov/tools/local-assistance/districtoffices.