News Article –
Now more than ever, families and students everywhere are thinking about where their food comes from. Check out these resources for all ages for some educational fun at home!
- Dr. Kevin Folta on Twitter (University of Florida): Daily 20-30 minute science presentations for students Graces 1-6
- Nutrients for Life Foundation Educational online games about food, agriculture and nutrition
- Streaming Science Virtual field trips on topics from conservation to bats!
- Billings Farm at Home Craft projects about farming. Learn how popcorn is made or craft farm animal origami!
- Ag Foundation “How Does it Grow?” Videos Educational videos on how different fruits and vegetables grow
- Federal Crowdsourcing and Citizen Science Catalog This website has several ideas to engage students in science that spans several subject areas
- Science Sparks Bean in a Jar Experiment A simple but fascinating investigation
- Printable Biotechnology Activity Book by Council for Biotechnology Information
- NACD Pollinator Field Day Guide Habitat-focused, pollinator-themed activities for grades K-8
- Gro More Good 72 free outdoor learning activities for kids
- Virtual Farm Tours Three separate farm tours of dairies in New York and Pennsylvania for kids aged four to nine, 10 – 13 and high schoolers.
- Farmers Market Challenge Online educational game that uses math skills to teach about farming
- The Life Cycle of an Apple Tree Free downloadable e-book by The Produce Moms
- Science Experiment: Dissect a flower Learn about the structure of flowers with this simple hands-on dissection activity and other exciting plant experiments for kids.
- That’s Life Online educational game about the life cycle of plants, animals and everyday products
- 360 Agriculture Farm Tours 20+ video farm tours from urban rooftop gardens to corn fields in Illinois.
- Grow a Caterpillar Craft project using seeds to teach about the elements plants need to grow
- Maryland Public Television Maryland Farm & Harvest Series TV series that dives into Maryland farms and farmers that produce food for consumers across the U.S.
- “Life in the Soil: Dig Deeper” Printable Book Colorful book with large photos to show the importance of soil and its connection to our everyday life.
- Food Safety at Home This activity created by the University of Florida guides students to investigate their home kitchen according to CDC guidelines.
- Egg and Poultry Farm Virtual Tour Use your mobile phone or a virtual reality headset!
- National Beef Month activity page This resource comes from the Georgia Department of Agriculture and Georgia Farm Bureau
Each week in NASDA News, we’ll share we’ll share new at home and virtual activities throughout the coronavirus outbreak. Have something to share with us? Email Sarah Grace Fowler with the details.