News Article –
USDA-APHIS is hiring an executive director of field operations. The application deadline is March 23, 2022. For more information, click here.
The Executive Director for Field Operations is the central line officer charged with executive oversight for PPQ Field Operations (FO) Core Functional Area (CFA) across the United States, territories, and possessions. This position works in close collaboration with the Associate Deputy Administrator (ADA0 of (FO)), sets the course of program objectives and plans for and controls the use of resources to meet immediate and long-range objectives.
Other major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participates fully with the ADA of FO in the formation and administration of the broad national and international plans, policies, and objectives for broad goal oriented regulatory, management and eradication programs.
- Responsible for all aspects of the plant protection and agricultural quarantine functions for PPQ’s field operations.
- Enforce federal and state quarantines regulating the movement of crops, products, equipment, and other material that may cause the spread of plant pests and diseases.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates the continuing appraisal of the control of agricultural pests which may attack America agriculture. Maintains oversight of quarantine activities to determine their overall effectiveness.
- Represents senior officials in APHIS, at meetings and conferences with industry, grower organizations, and other entities to encourage active participation and compliance in the enforcement of quarantine and control activities of the agency.
- Provides leadership in negotiations with cooperating state officials, industry groups and other individuals in the development of negotiated outcomes that further the APHIS mission.
- Responsible for the internal organization and overall day-to-day operations of programs in Field Operations; oversees the formulation of immediate and long-range budgets.
- Keeps the ADA and other officials fully informed of program and related considerations having significant bearing upon the planning, development, and administration of overall PPQ Field Operations activities.